Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blog Post #3

According to Wikipedia, Media literacy is a repertoire of competences that enable people to analyze, evaluate, and create messages in a wide variety of media modes, genres, and forms.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_literacy
     Or Media literacy could also be described as the ability to understand how mass media work, how they produce meanings, how they are organized, and how to use them wisely. Media literate person can describe the role media play in his or her life. The media literate person understands the basic conventions of various media, and enjoys their use in a deliberately conscious way. The media literate person understands the impact of music and special effects in heightening the drama of a television program or film...this recognition does not lessen the enjoyment of the action, but prevents the viewer from being unduly credulous or becoming unnecessarily frightened. The media literate person is in control of his or her media experiences.
     http://www.cmp.ucr.edu/education/programs/digitalstudio/studio_programs/vidkids/medialit.html
     I would consider myself Media literate personally. That being said, I'm not hooked on every social network, youtube channel or any blogs for that matter. For example, I have my own Facebook profile, as many people do, and I know how to translate the media information that is put up on facebook. I also have my own account on Stumbleupon, which can give the user any kind of media that they list as one of their interests, from New York Times to The Rolling Stones. But the internet isn't the only media out there, there's television, radio, newspaper and more and that easily a majority of the population, myself included, experience everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment